| Looking After Your Extensions
For proper aftercare make sure you wash and condition hair extensions in one direction, from top to bottom. Avoid washing hair extensions upside down in the sink or scrunching your hair extensions on top of your head. Make sure you wash underneath every tape when wearing tape extensions. If your shampoo does not reach every part of your scalp, the natural oils of your hair can cause your tapes to move or slide out. Wash your hair when your scalp starts becoming oily to avoid the tapes from coming loose. It is suggested to use shampoo and conditioners that hydrate and add moisture to you hair extensions, like SOL Professional Hair Care. Be careful of products containing protein/ keratin. Even though protein is good for your natural hair, it will make your extensions feel hard and dry and can cause premature breakage and damage. Make sure the hair product is sulphate free and your hair feels soft and shiny after every wash, then you are on the right track. The moment you feel your hair extensions are becoming dry, immediately change your product! Do keep in mind that your hair will need more moisture in winter or in dry seasons. Using hair oils is a great way to keep hair hydrated and protected.
Sol was developed as there was a desired need for a product that can keep human hair extensions softer for longer without stripping the protective treatment layer of the hair. Keratins and proteins dry out human hair extensions, therefor Sol is focussing on ingredients that promote moisture to keep the hair hydrated for longer. Chemicals like sulphates, ammonia, and parabens are very dangerous to our health and also damaging to our hair. Sol is sulphate-free, ammonia-free and paraben-free to ensure that your hair and health stay in tip-top condition. SoL also facilitates the flow of oxygen and nutrients into the hair follicles to stimulate hair growth, assist in split end prevention, detangles hair and fight hair loss and the premature greying of hair. SoL is perfect for aftercare as it contains vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants to promote healthy, strong and beautiful hair. Click on www.solhair.co.za for more information.
Never use products containing Keratin Proteins. Keratin will dry out your extensions, break it off, and you will struggle with matting in your hair. Choose products that focus on moisture and hydration, to keep your extensions healthy.
You can absolutely treat your new hair just as you would your own. Curl it, straighten it and most of all, enjoy it! For proper aftercare, please be careful not to use high heat on your extensions. This can cause your ends to burn and you will experience hard or frizzy ends. Use a heat protection product for aftercare before your use any heat on your hair. Oil protectants work best. Kérastase Elixir oil works well to moisturize and protect your own hair and your hair extensions against heat. Do not use heat on wet hair as your extensions can get blisters from the water boiling in the cuticle. Rather use heat on dry hair. Never style hair with the temperature higher than 180 degrees. Hair extensions are not a wash-and-go product. Always style your extensions with low heat to make sure your extensions look sleek and healthy. Heat styling will seal your hair extension cuticle to create a sleek look. Add a good quality hair oil afterward to add shine to your hair. Hair oils are a great aftercare product to keep your hair from feeling dry or tangling.
Bush your hair from root to tip twice a day. Brush over your hair extensions, close to the root where your own hair and the hair extension bond is attached. This is the area where knots can form easily. Brush your hair gently with a hair extension or boar bristle brush. Make sure your don’t pull your own hair when brushing, as extra tensions on the hair follicles should be avoided to prevent hair loss. For proper aftercare, brush your hair extensions when dry to avoid damage. Wet hair extensions are extremely elastic and your extensions can snap or your tape/ keratin bonds can slide or fall out when brushing wet hair extensions.
As an aftercare preventive measure, make sure your hair, especially against the scalp/tape/keratin tip area, is 100% dry. Sleeping with wet hair with cause all your tapes to come loose and knot. Brush hair from root to tip before bedtime. Tie your hair up in a loose bun or plait your hair extensions. Do not sleep with extensions loose as the ends of the hair will break.Sleeping with loose hair can also cause your own hair to knot in between your tapes or bonds. Do not sleep in tight pony tails. Sleeping on silk pillow cases is better for your extensions.
Because the hair has already been processed with colour, we do not advise having any additional chemical processes done on our hair extensions. If colour is insisted by a client, we advice that colour must be tested first on a single strand before colouring all your hair extensions. Colour on hair extensions always come out different than on our own natural hair. Never lighten or bleach hair extensions, as it will damage the hair. Avoid colour on the tape bonds.
The more layers you have in your own natural hair, the easier it is to blend extensions when installing the hair. Human hair extensions can be cut the same way as natural hair. Do not cut extensions with a razor, but rather with your professional hair scissors. Strands of Love always give 2-3 cm more than the length of hair ordered. This is to ensure that there is room for cutting the ends. Keep in mind that you will need to trim your extensions’ ends with every maintenance, therefor you extensions will go shorter. Normal wear and tear can also cause ends to go thinner over time. This is a normal process for all human hair.
After installation, do not tie your hair up in high ponytails or buns for 2 weeks. Your extensions need to settle first as high tension on the scalp can cause damage or hair loss.
Chlorine water and salt water is not good for extensions. As an aftercare preventive measure, when you go swimming, we recommend applying a leave-in conditioner or hair oil on your extensions to seal the hair as an aftercare. Put the conditioner as close as possible to the top tape or keratin/micro ring part where knotting can occur (Do not put the conditioner or oil directly on the bonds). Immediately after swimming, make sure you rinse the chlorine or salt water from your extensions and condition your hair extensions again. This should be done in order to protect the hair from drying out and knotting. Avoid tying hair up when swimming. Do not tie wet hair up after swimming, but let your extensions dry naturally. Wet, tied up hair will cause the tapes to come loose, fall out or knot badly. Let your hair dry naturally, and when dry, you can style your extensions with a heat tool to make your hair look stylish and cared for. Gentle heat styling will seal the cuticle for a sleek look. Apply Argan oil for moisture and proper aftercare.
We have over 40 extensions colours available. We offer a colour ring to salons to help with the colour-matching of clients. Keep in mind that every colour batch we receive are a little different from the previous, thus slight colour changes compared to our colour ring does occur.
Also keep in mind that slight colour changes in your hair extensions can happen over time, as we supply real human hair that has been coloured. Every batch we receive from the factory looks and can feel a bit different from the previous batch.
Iron content in water varies depending on where you live. High iron content and chlorine in water can cause your extensions to have a slight pinkish undertone over time. If this happens try to use bottled water to wash your hair.
Fashion colours does wash out over time, as it will when you colour your own natural hair. When you go back to your salon, your stylist can colour your fashion tapes to make your funky colour vibrant again.
- Do not brush your hair extensions when your hair is still wet
- Never sleep with wet hair extensions. Always dry your extensions properly before bedtime.
- Don’t use conditioners, treatments or hair oils on your scalp/keratin/tape bond. Only use shampoo to clean your scalp. Conditioners should be used on mid-lengths to ends.
- Wash your hair often or as needed. Your hair’s natural oils can cause your tapes to slide out or become sticky. Please wash your hair every 1-3 days, and make sure you wash under and between every tape.
- Only install tape that was cleaned properly. Remove the old tape glue and wash the hair extensions with shampoo before installing. Conditioners and treatments must be used on mid-length to ends only. Make sure the bond remover is washed off properly before re-taping. Only apply new tape to dry hair extensions.
- Clean the old sticky residue from the natural hair before installation/ maintenance.
- Make sure your own hair is washed, preferably with a clarifying shampoo before installation. The clarifying shampoo will make sure that all residue on your natural hair, which can cause your tapes to slide out, will be removed. A clarifying shampoo will remove all product build-up on hair.
- Be careful to colour hair before an installation. Colour forms a protective layer over the hair, which can prevent the keratin glue from sticking to your hair. Straightening treatments should also be done at least a week before an hair extension installation is scheduled.
- Do not use direct heat on your tape bonds when styling.
- Shedding can happen when tape hair is removed with alcohol or strong removers. Only use surgical spirits, and rinse off within 1 hour.
- If tapes stay wet for long periods of time, the tapes will start shedding over time. Never tie up wet hair.
- When tapes are removed, and washed, immediately dry the tape bonds. Leaving tapes wet overnight can cause a breakdown of the bonds. When tapes are removed, it is a great idea to leave a treatment on the hair overnight, just make sure the top tape/ bond part stays dry.
- A flatiron must be used to heat each tape sandwich up. After applying heat for only 2 seconds on less than 180º, pressure to the tape sandwich must be applied to ensure the top and bottom tape stick to each other. Applying heat to the tape bonds for longer that 2 seconds can cause the tape bonds to burn, which will cause cracks in the bonds and will lead to shedding.
- When styling with heat tools, avoid any heat on the tape bond. Heat can cause the tapes to crack over time, which will cause shedding.
- Avoid brushing wet hair. Wet tape or keratin bonds are soft, which will cause the bonds to start shedding.
- Avoid applying colour to your tape bonds. Keep your tape bonds chemical free.
Never try to remove your extensions by yourself. Always let a professional remove your hair extensions. When removing, use surgical spirits to remove tape or keratin bonded hair extensions. Do NOT use alcohol or any other bond removers on tapes. Using products other than surgical spirits will cause a breakdown of the tape bonds which will eventually cause shedding. There will be a sticky residue left behind in the client’s hair after a removal. This is removed by using oil-based products like OLIVE OIL NOURISHING SHEEN SPRAY from Clicks or Dischem or using coconut oil. Massage the oil into the hair for +/- 2 min and then GENTLY brush the residue out. Do keep in mind that some clients will have more residue than others. This has to do with the products that your clients use to wash their hair, or using heat styling tools on her tapes. Please contact us if you are struggling with the removal of your client’s hair, and we would gladly advise. After removing the tapes, gently pull the old tape off. Place the sticky side of each tape to the sticky side of another tape when removing, to ensure that no sticky residue touches the top outer part of the tape bonds. Wash the bond remover off the hair extensions properly. You cannot re-tape hair when there is still bond remover of the hair. Leaving surgical spirits on the tape hair can cause discoloration of the extensions and even breakdown of the bonds which will cause shedding. Wash the hair extensions within an hour of removal. When the extensions are completely dry you can re-tape the hair with the Strands of Love re-bonding tape. Do not use any other tape brand to ensure lasting wear. Three full sets (120 tapes) come out of one tape roll. Make sure your client’s hair is washed with a shampoo only just before installation. Oil on the scalp can cause the tapes or bonds to not stick properly, which will lead to hair extensions falling out. Washing natural hair with clarifying or anti-residue shampoo is recommended before installation to ensure there is no product build-up on your clients hair, which can cause tape to slide out. When using straightening treatments on your client’s hair, it is recommended to wait a minimum of one week before installing the tapes.
Strands of Love uses an outsourced courier company to deliver all parcels. Delivery is overnight when we receive payment before 13:00 on the day the order is placed. Please keep in mind that delays in deliveries can occur. Deliveries to smaller towns can take longer. We will do our best to ensure your parcel is delivered on time. Tracking numbers are provided on request.
Please note: Terms and conditons